Interchange Canada facilitates the temporary assignments of employees between the core public administration and other public, not-for-profit, or private sectors with the objective of:
- supporting the acquisition and/or transfer of knowledge and expertise to assist participating organizations in meeting their business and human resources objectives;
- contributing to an enriched understanding of how the core public administration functions and a better understanding of the business of other sectors; and
- fostering the professional and leadership development of participants.
How does Interchange Canada work?
Each Interchange Canada assignment must involve one organization in the core public administration and one organization outside of the core public administration.
Participants are sponsored by their organization. Throughout the duration of the assignment, participants will continue to receive their pay and benefits from their sponsor organization. Normally, the sponsor organization is reimbursed by the host organization for the participant's full salary and benefits covering the period of the assignment.
Who can participate?
Interchange Canada is open to employees at all groups and levels of the core public administration and to employees of other sectors, both in Canada and internationally. Organizations of all sizes and sectors are eligible to participate, including:
- aboriginal organizations
- private businesses
- personal corporations
- municipal/provincial governments
- academic institutions
- not-for-profit organizations
- separate agencies
- Crown corporations
- other federal organizations
How are assignments initiated?
- Organizations may post an assignment opportunity on the Interchange Canada website for prospective participants to view.
- Prospective participants may post a resumé on the Interchange Canada website for managers to view.
- Organizations, managers or individuals may identify an assignment opportunity through workplace or business contacts.
Where can I find additional information?
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Interchange Canada Statistics
- Policy on Interchange Canada
- Directive on Interchange Canada
Who do I contact?
Employees of the core public administration are encouraged to direct questions to their departmental Interchange Canada Liaison Officer:
Departmental Liaison Officers and employees outside of the core public administration may contact Interchange Canada via Public Enquiries.
- Date modified: