We are currently moving our web services and information to Canada.ca.
The Treasury Board of Canada Secretariat website will remain available until this move is complete.
Learning and leadership development
Successful organizations make learning and leadership development an integral part of their business planning. Better planning and learning and leadership development will help to ensure that the Public Service continues to serve the Government and Canadians with excellence in the years ahead.
To support this aim, there are a number of public service-wide development programs available to employees.
How the Office of Chief Human Resources Officer supports organizations
Departments are primarily responsible for leadership development programs based on specific needs identified in their business plans. The Office of the Chief Human Resources Officer offers a variety of programs and services to support leadership development at all levels of the Public Service:
- learning organizations – learning activities beyond traditional classroom training;
- competencies – knowledge, skills, abilities and behaviours;
- required training – training requirements for new employees, supervisors, managers and executives;
- succession planning and management – the integration of human resources and business planning
- the Leadership Development Framework – a reference document to guide leadership development efforts at all levels
- the Interchange Canada Program - temporary assignments to strengthen the professional and personal development of employees
Renewing the workforce is key for a high performing public service
Employees are responsible for their careers and their professional development. They are encouraged to connect with the networks of functional communities, where they can develop personally and professionally and work to meet their career needs and aspirations.
A commitment to renewal means a commitment to supporting and developing current employees, and to making the best possible use of the skills and talents of all.
Working with Partners
The Office of Chief Human Resources Officer will continue to collaborate with the Canada School of Public Service on initiatives devoted to improving employee learning and development and performance management.
- Date modified: