Competency profile (AS-02)
1. Client service orientation
Understand, interpret and respond to client needs and expectations (clients include employees/their representatives, managers and human resource practitioners).
- Clarifies client service requirements then keeps client informed, provides updates and reasons for any delays/problems
- Provides personalized advice and individual counselling to clients regarding compensation entitlements, options and implications in order to facilitate informed decisions
- Present different options and possible benefits
- Advises and counsels Managers, HR Practitioners and Employees/Representatives regarding compensation and benefit choices
- Assesses the financial impact of proposed compensation or benefit programs for employees to propose scenarios
Precise and effective communication through written and oral means.
- Asks open questions, paraphrases to verify understanding and tries to understand the situation from the client's perspective
- Translates complex and technical information into lay-person terminology
- Writes clearly and succinctly, using correct grammar, spelling and style
- Adjusts communication style to audience
- Provides training for new employees and colleagues at informal and formal information sessions
3. Interpersonal relations
Positive interaction with others; evidence of open mind in order to take advantage of diversity; establishment of harmonious professional relations.
- Provides a decisive response to a claim or inquiry, after considering the facts and then clearly presents the facts, reason and logic behind the decision thus ensuring the client understands
- Provides feedback/information in a respectful manner and builds mutual trust
- Remains flexible, open-minded, non-judgmental and maintains composure and professionalism in sensitive or possibly hostile circumstances
- Focuses on the compensation/benefits particulars/problems rather than the individual's state or emotions yet is able to demonstrate empathy
- Uses tact to diffuse a difficult situation
4. Analytical thinking
Analysis and judgement required to ensure the right decisions are made and actions processed accurately.
- Maintains data integrity in a variety of files
- Analyzes and interprets information from various documents
- Demonstrates mathematical strength when handling a multitude of transactions which may involve a wide range of complexities including; various compensation and benefit programs, retroactivity, hours of work, employment status
- Applies a variety of formulas and calculations and verifies numbers
- Evaluates situations, breaks problems into parts and differentiates the key elements then determines options, costs and implications
- Researches, clarifies and applies changes in legislation, collective agreements
- Thinks clearly under tight time constraints to respond to any applicable changes
- Researches information from various sources and clarifies meaning, options and potential costs
- Understands workflow processes and points of intervention
- Ability to overview a situation in a systematic manner
Actively participating and fostering an environment that sustains a collaborative approach to working with others.
- Contributes to the skill development of other HR professionals
- Collaborates and interacts effectively as a team member on various Departmental and inter-departmental working groups and openly shares expertise
- Encourages others to speak and tolerates opinions/ideas that differ from own
- Gives and receives feedback openly and in a constructive manner
6. Results achievement
Delivering quality products and services in a timely, effective and efficient manner.
- Makes decisions in a timely manner
- Interprets policies, directives, instructions, procedures and takes action
- Integrates new information and simultaneously considers different operations to resolve problems
- Strives for balance between perfect solutions and timely, effective delivery of results
- Adapts to new and changing situations, technologies, policies and priorities
- Takes responsibility and be accountable for actions processed and understands that they have a financial/human impact
Demonstrating personal attributes that improve performance.
- Approaches work in an ethical, professional and discretionary manner
- Adjusts to changes and seeks advice regarding resetting goals and priorities
- Is a self-starter - takes action beyond specific requests
- Confidently expresses own ideas and opinions
- Identifies gaps in own knowledge and seeks ways to fill gaps
- Remains current on all emerging changes, trends - summarizes information obtained through reading, meetings and discussion
- Able to work under pressure and still stay focussed on the objectives
8. Technological agility
Use of software, evaluation of new technological tools, technological integration.
- Uses software and computer systems designed for compensation services
- Adapts his or her method of working to a computerized environment
- Integrates new technologies with compensation activities in order to deliver a more effective and efficient service
- Establishes links between compensation software and the human resource systems.
9. Organizational knowledge
Understands the roles of compensation group as an important component of the Human resources community.
- Understands H.R.'s vision/mandate and direction
- Is able to recognize the impact of compensation on the organization's objectives
- Understands the role of central agencies responsible for policies and systems development
- Makes recommendations on issues that affect the effective management of the work unit
10. Job specific knowledge
Knowledge of different acts, regulations, collective agreements, terms and conditions of employment, departmental policies and procedures relevant to compensation.
- Knowledge of legislative compensation documents
- Knowledge of administrative procedures
11. Technical knowledge
Knowledge of formulas, calculations techniques and practices.
- Knowledge of on-line compensation leave system, CDFS (Finance, System Calculation techniques), and various other software packages
- Knowledge of formula, calculation, techniques and practices
- Date modified: