ARCHIVED - Public Health Agency of Canada - Supplementary Tables
This page has been archived.
Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats on the "Contact Us" page.
Response to Parliamentary Committees
Standing Committee on Health
- The Seventh Report of the Standing Committee on Health, "Review of the Cancellation of the Canadian HIV Vaccine Initiative's HIV Vaccine Manufacturing Facility Project" was adopted by the Committee on October 7, 2010, and presented to the House on October 21, 2010.
- The Report analyzed the circumstances surrounding and the decisions made regarding the cancellation of the Canadian HIV Vaccine Initiative (CHVI) vaccine manufacturing facility project, and made three recommendations: that future Canadian HIV Initiative projects be granted through arms-length federal research agencies; that immunology related HIV research, team grants for HIV researchers, anti-viral drugs, and the pre-purchasing of vaccine production capacity be taken into consideration as
priorities for CHVI funding allocations; and that the Government of Canada conduct independent needs assessments in relation to projects funded under the CHVI.
- The Government Response to the Seventh Report was tabled in Parliament on February 11, 2011. The Government Response: outlined the renewed CHVI in collaboration with the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation; described the renewed CHVI's shift from establishing a pilot-scale
manufacturing facility to launching the CHVI Research and Development Alliance; and demonstrated how this decision was based on the latest research regarding the HIV vaccine landscape and represents the best investment. The Response addressed each of the three key recommendations of the
Committee's Seventh Report, and described in detail the CHVI Research and Development Alliance's areas of focus, consultations and results, and current and projected activities.
Standing Committee on Public Accounts
- In their May 2009 report, the Standing Committee on Public Accounts recommended that the Agency submit annual reports to the Committee until recommendations made in Chapter 5 (Surveillance of Infectious Diseases) of the May 2008 Report of the Auditor General (AG) of Canada are fully implemented.
- In September 2009, the Minister of Health tabled the Government Response to the Report of the Standing Committee. As part of the Government Response, the Agency provided a status report on progress in implementing the AG recommendations, and committed to providing annual status reports until the AG recommendations
are fully implemented.
- In May 2010, the Public Health Agency of Canada provided its second annual status report to the Committee on progress in implementing the AG recommendations.