Prevention and resolution of harassment in the workplace
We all have a role to play in creating a respectful and harassment-free workplace.
The Treasury Board Secretariat provides organizations with numerous resources to help employees and managers establish a culture of collaboration and respect, prevent harassment and use resolution mechanisms that are appropriate in the circumstances.
Whether you are an employee, a manager or a functional specialist, the following resources provide practical information that can be used immediately to contribute to a healthy, and harassment-free workplace.
For questions related to the prevention and resolution of harassment, please consult with your Departmental representatives for the prevention and resolution of harassment in the workplace.
How do I know if it is harassment and what can I do to resolve it?
- Is it Harassment? A Tool to Guide Employees - Serves to help you in the analysis of a situation you believe might be workplace harassment.
- Policy on Harassment Prevention and Resolution - Expresses the responsibility of deputy heads to protect employees from harassment.
- Directive on the Harassment Complaint Process - Describes the requirements of the complaint process and ensures the timely and efficient resolution of complaints.
- Guide on Applying the Harassment Resolution Process - Provides information and best practices on the resolution process, including use of informal resolution processes and the application of the formal complaint process.
- Sample of a Harassment Complaint Form - An example only. If you intend to file a complaint, contact the person responsible for managing the harassment complaint process in your organization.
- Informal Conflict Management System - An approach to managing and resolving conflicts in the workplace quickly and constructively.
As a manager, how can I prevent harassment?
- Preventing Harassment Poster - Display the poster "Preventing harassment is everyone's responsibility – Speaking-up is Key" in your workplace.
- Preventing and Resolving Harassment in the Workplace: a Guide for Managers - Provides different tips and approaches for managers to foster a culture of respect and raise their comfort level in intervening when faced with issues related to harassment.
- Restoring The Workplace Following A Harassment Complaint: A Manager's Guide - Assists in managing sensitive and complex issues with the aim of restoring a respectful work environment.
What resources are particularly useful to functional specialists?
- Workplace harassment Investigation services - The Standing Offer Index provides a list of Investigators approved by Public Works and Government Services Canada. Conduct your search using the following key words: Mandatory Commodities: “Administrative and Management Support Services (R1)” Product/Service: “harassment”
- Competencies profile for Harassment Investigators - Information on the minimum level of competencies required of investigators who conduct departmental harassment investigations.
- Investigation Guide for the Policy on Harassment Prevention and Resolution and Directive on the Harassment Complaint Process - Requires that investigators undertake thorough and impartial investigations into harassment allegations.
What courses are available related to the prevention and resolution of harassment?
- Online Course People to People Communication: Preventing and Resolving Harassment for a Healthy Work Environment - Contains learning activities, including scenarios, brief situations based on real life stories and a self-assessment.
- Courses offered through the Canada School of the Public Service
- Creating a Respectful Workplace (T916) - Broadens understanding of the issue of harassment, and provides participants with the tools needed to identify potential cases of harassment and promote attitudes and behaviours for a respectful workplace.
- Managing Harassment Complaints (T704) - Provides the knowledge and skills needed to manage a harassment complaint process in accordance with the current Treasury Board Policy on Harassment Prevention and Resolution and the Directive on the Harassment Complaint Process. The course allows organizational representatives to track the progress of a harassment complaint and become familiar with the various steps in the complaint process.
- Investigating Harassment Complaints (T703) - Develops the skills and sensitivities needed to handle investigations in accordance with the principles of procedural fairness.
- Frequently Asked Questions - Renewed Policy on Harassment Prevention and Resolution and the new Directive on the Harassment Complaint Process
- Fact Sheet - Updates to the Policy on the Prevention of Harassment in the Workplace (2001)
- Bibliography on workplace harassment - Bibliography of harassment material based on nine themes.
- Date modified: