Key leadership competencies
In 2005, the Government announced a key leadership competencies profile that outlines the leadership skills, abilities and characteristics and behaviors that are needed by managers at all levels to meet the challenges of today and tomorrow.
In 2008, the Employee level of the Key Leadership Competencies profile was developed to identify effective leadership behaviors for employees without any supervisory or managerial responsibilities. The profile supports employee learning and development by listing competencies that help focus discussions on performance, learning needs and career plans.
- establishes values and ethics as the foundation of leadership and is linked to management accountability. It outlines effective behaviours for all managerial (supervisor, manager, director, director-general, assistant deputy minister, deputy minister) and for employees without supervisory or managerial responsibilities. It also provides ineffective behaviours.
- helps managers, organizations and functional communities incorporate qualitative data into their workforce analysis and human resources plans. Managers can use the profile for talent management, staffing positions, setting and assessing performance expectations. All employees can use the profile to self-assess against the requirements of their present job and to plan for future growth.
- is the main component of the EX qualification standard and is mandatory in assessing candidates for executive appointments. The profile is also a major element of talent management, leadership development programs, the public Service Commission assessment services and the performance management program.
The profile contains
- a model comprised of four competencies and accompanying definitions (common to all management levels)
- specific effective behaviours for each competency for each of the levels in the profile (DM, ADM, DG, Director, Manager, Supervisor and Employee)
- generic ineffective behaviours for each competency for all levels in the continuum
- Date modified: