Performance pay for represented employees in the Administrative and Foreign Service Category
This chapter applies to employees in the Public Service as specified in Part I of Schedule I of the Public Service Staff Relations Act who are classified at senior levels in the administrative and foreign service category and who are subject to a collective agreement for which a performance pay range has been negotiated.
In this chapter:
- means the amount representing the difference between successive rates in the performance pay range, or $500 (augmentation);
- lowest pay increment
- for the purposes of section 24 of the Public Service Terms and Conditions Employment Regulations shall be an amount equivalent to two increments in the performance pay range, or $1,000 (augmentation de la rémunération en plus faible);
- review committee
- means a committee established by the deputy head to review the performance of all employees in levels for which performance pay ranges have been approved (comité de révision).
In this chapter, the performance pay range applies to a person initially appointed, promoted or transferred to a position for which a performance pay range has been established.
The rate of pay on appointment of a person from outside the Public Service shall be determined by the Public Service Commission and shall not be at a rate higher than the maximum.
Increases in the performance pay range
For the purpose of reviewing an employee's performance, the fiscal year shall constitute the review period, and increases in pay for employees in the department paid in the performance pay range for the full review period shall be granted on July 1 of each year.
Where, in the opinion of the deputy head, after considering a recommendation of the review committee, an increase in pay is warranted for an employee who was appointed during the 12-month period, he or she may increase the rate of pay of that employee on any date prior to the end of the next review period but such increase shall not be to a rate beyond the maximum.
Where, in the opinion of the deputy head, after considering a recommendation of the review committee, an increase in pay for an employee who has been paid in the performance pay range for the full review period is warranted, he or she may increase the rate of pay to any rate in the performance pay range subject to the following conditions:
- Increases in pay for employees who are being paid at rates of pay less than the maximum in any fiscal year:
- shall be an average of two increments calculated on all employees receiving increases in the department who were paid for the full review period in the performance pay ranges below the maximum, except that,
- for each employee in the department receiving no increase and paid for the full review period in the performance pay ranges at rates below the maximum, two increments shall be available to the department and such increments may be granted as determined by the deputy head.
- The period between consideration for increases in pay shall not exceed 15 months.
This chapter replaces chapter 1-2, appendix L of PMM Volume 8.
Enquiries about this chapter should be referred to the responsible officers in departmental headquarters who, in turn, may direct questions regarding policy interpretations to:
Collective Agreement Administration
Staff Relations Division
Personnel Policy Branch
Treasury Board Secretariat