We are currently moving our web services and information to Canada.ca.
The Treasury Board of Canada Secretariat website will remain available until this move is complete.
Handbook for Implementation: Workforce Planning and Management
The following handbook is a resource for managers, human resources advisors and employees for information related to workforce planning and management. Key topics include alternation, reasonable job offers, opting employees, surplus, leave, relocation and transfer, pay and benefits.
Treasury Board Secretariat, the Public Service Commission, the Privy Council Office, and the Canada School of Public Service are working together to provide a more consistent and coordinated approach to workforce planning and management across the public service.
Plan and Prepare
- Virtual Career Fair for Impacted Federal Public Service Employees
- Work Force Adjustment Planning Checklist
- Integrated Planning
- Workforce Data and Information
- Priority Information Management System (PIMS)
- Public Service Management Dashboard (pub)
- Selection for Retention and Lay-off
- Selection of Employees for Retention and Lay-Off Assessment Module
- Alternation Forum GC Forums Jobs Marketplace
- Fact Sheet – Alternation
- Frequently asked questions on Alternation
Career Transition for Executives
- Frequently asked questions Directive on Career Transition for Executives
- Process Map on Career Transition for Executives
- Frequently asked questions Preparing to Retire from the Federal Public Service
- Workforce Adjustment and Pension Waivers
- Pension Reduction Waiver Request (for employees where Treasury Board is the employer)
- Pension Reduction Waiver Request (for employees where Treasury Board is not the employer)
- Pension and Benefits Web Portal
The Canada School of Public Service offers training on managing change, learning the ins and outs of workforce management, preparing for the next steps in your career, adapting your leadership style during transitions and learning how to manage difficult situations.
Visit Seminars on Workforce Management for the complete list of learning products.
Legislation, Policies and Directives
- Collective Agreements
- Directive on Career Transition for Executives
- Directive on Executive Compensation
- Directive on Staffing Bilingual Positions
- Employee Assistance Program Policy
- Public Service Employment Act
- Financial Administration Act
- Public Service Labour Relations Act
- Public Service Employment Regulations
- Work Force Adjustment Directive
- Directive on Terms and Conditions of Employment
- Date modified: