Make an access to information or personal information request
The first step in making an Access to Information or Personal Information request is to determine which institution holds the information you are requesting. Please refer to Info Source to find out what each institution does and what information it holds.
Submitting an online request
Using the Access to Information and Privacy (ATIP) Online Request service is a fast, easy and convenient way to submit requests for access to information or personal information.
Apply online today to save time.
This service enables individuals to make online requests for information under the control of Government of Canada institutions instead of having to print, scan and mail a paper form to the correct institution.
The following institutions participate in the Access to Information and Privacy (ATIP) Online Request service:
- Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada
- Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada
- Canada Border Services Agency
- Canada Revenue Agency
- Canadian Food Inspection Agency
- Canadian Heritage
- Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission
- Canadian Security Intelligence Service
- Citizenship and Immigration Canada
- Department of Finance Canada
- Department of Justice Canada
- Employment and Social Development Canada (includes Service Canada and the Labour Program)
- Environment Canada
- Federal Economic Development Agency for Southern Ontario
- Financial Transactions and Reports Analysis Centre of Canada
- Fisheries and Oceans Canada
- Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development Canada
- Health Canada
- Industry Canada
- National Defence and the Canadian Armed Forces
- Natural Resources Canada
- Parks Canada
- Public Health Agency of Canada
- Public Service Commission of Canada
- Public Works and Government Services Canada
- Royal Canadian Mounted Police
- Shared Services Canada
- Statistics Canada
- Transport Canada
- Treasury Board of Canada Secretariat
- Veterans Affairs Canada
This service supports the commitments of Canada’s Action Plan on Open Government 2014–16 to modernize the administration of access to information and privacy services across the federal government.
Mailing your request
To make a request by mail to an institution, please complete either the
- Access to Information Request Form
- Personal Information Request Form
- Record Correction Request Form
- Or include a letter indicating that your request is made in accordance with either the Access to Information Act or the Privacy Act and describe the information you are seeking.
Please include details that would assist the ATIP Office in locating the relevant records.
Please note that a $5 application fee only applies to Access to Information requests. There is no fee for requests for personal information.
Address your request to one of the Access to Information and Privacy Coordinators, which are listed by institution.
What is the difference between an Access to Information request and a Personal Information request?
Canadian citizens, permanent residents, individuals present in Canada and corporations located in Canada can request information in federal government records that are not of a personal nature through an Access to Information request.
Canadian citizens, permanent residents or individuals present in Canada have the right to access personal information held about them by the Government of Canada through a Personal Information request.
- Date modified: