Succession planning and management guide
Archived information is provided for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please contact us to request a format other than those available.
Table of Contents
- The business case
- What is succession planning and management?
- How does succession planning and management link with integrated HR and business planning?
- Planning considerations
- Steps and considerations
- Respecting the key values of transparency, fairness, and accessibility
- The five-step process
- Who are the various players and what are their roles?
- Critical success factors
- Examples of departmental practices
- Frequently asked questions
- Additional sources of information
- Additional reference material
- Appendix A: sample template for an employee profile
- Appendix B: sample template for a key position profile
- Appendix C: Succession Planning and Management for Senior Managers Checklist: Steps & Considerations
- Date modified: