Demographic information is a key component in the integrated planning process. The links
provided below on demographics are intended to serve as a support to your
department’s or agency’s planning efforts. It is recognized that many
organizations already have procedures in place to capture demographic information.
The following information can be found on-line on the
Canada Public Service Agency
Federal Public Service Employment Statistics
- The Public Service Human Resources Management Agency of Canada provides on-line
access to a range of information on employment in the Public Service. The site contains
aggregate, statistical data relating to departments and agencies.
Public service demographics and
- This Canada Public Service Agency site provides a repository of information devoted
to demographic analysis.
service commission annual reports
- The Public Service Commission annual reports provide information on the health of
the PS staffing system and provide assessments of the staffing performance of
departments and agencies that are governed by the current Public Service Employment
Employment Equity information
- The Employment Equity annual reports provide statistical highlights on Employment
Equity designated group members across the Public Service.
2001 and 2006 Census
- The Census of Population provides information on population and dwelling counts not
only for Canada, as a whole, but also for each province and territory, and for smaller
geographic units such as cities or districts within cities. The census also provides
information about Canada’s demographic, social and economic characteristics.
Development Canada – Labour Market information
- This site provides facts and figures about the labour market.
guidebook: public service commission statistical information site
- The PSC Statistical Information Site is called the statistical "Cube" because of
its ability to drill down and sideways simultaneously, allowing for more precise data
analysis. The "Cube” will help departments and agencies in preparing various
types of reports, such as departmental trends in hiring and staffing activities and in
making comparisons between HR activities in departments and agencies.
Public Service Commission role:
- Official reporter of hiring and staffing activities data and Employment Equity data
related to staffing activities (recruitment, promotions, lateral and downward
- Departments and agencies that staff under the Public Service Employment Act.
Contents of the statistical tool:
- Data: Hiring and staffing activities - Hiring of casuals - Hiring
- Definition and notes: Glossary – Department and agency
acronyms and description - Occupational groups and description
- Variable list: List of variables available in the tools.
- Related links
- Tutorial: The “Tutorial” located on the side bar, will
provide you with sufficient information to use this tool with ease and to start
creating your own reports.